Thursday, October 3, 2013

Feeling Like the Prodigal Son

The Pope’s recent interview has brought up an interesting way of looking at his actions. When I first heard of his interview on national news, I was like “The Pope said what?” I admit that I am a morally conservative convert to Catholicism and the way mainstream media interprets the Holy Father at times causes me to raise an eyebrow. I’ve learned to go to Catholic sources for clarification. But here’s the thing –

I’ve started to get a little fearful. I’m starting to look at myself sorta like the older brother in the parable of the Prodigal Son. Here I have been trying most of my adult life to live as close to Catholic teaching as possible and when I hear the Pope backing away from strict enforcement, I start to fear that the rules that I have defended all these years will not be enforced for some. It seems as though the Holy Father is somewhat like that father in the parable. He’s looking for ways to get to those prodigal sons and daughters back in the fold. Do I need to feel put out and afraid? Or should I join in the celebration?

I’m sure I am not alone in my perception. It’s a spiritual test of sorts. I do know deep down that I should not be fearful and I do agree with the Pope in that we should attempt to embrace the sinner when at all possible. I do however think that moral issues such as homosexuality and abortion should not be shrugged off to the point that we are turning a blind eye to it. The Church has stood solid all these years because of its rock solid foundation. Let us pray that nothing will ever start to chip away at that foundation and weaken it.

No comments:

Post a Comment