Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Are you "Saved"?

Having been raised in a Protestant environment, I am often times asked by my friends, "Tracy, are you saved?" My answer: "Of course!" "I have been saved, I am being saved and I hope to be saved when I die." What does it mean to be "saved"? That question is looked upon differently from one denomination to another. However, this question is answered in three stages or levels corresponding to the different meanings of the word "Saved" and "Salvation" which are found in scripture.

Yes, I have been saved. This response acknowledges the very first meaning of "saved" and "salvation" in the Bible, Jesus Christ, Savior, by whose very act of salvation we are objectively saved. He died, rose from death and saved us from sin. In 2nd Cor 5:17 we read "So whoever is in Christ is a new creation." Therefore, I AM being saved according to the second meaning of those words in scripture -- the present experience, God's power delivering constantly from the bondage of sin.

In 1st Cor 15:2 we understand that we are also "being saved" if we hold fast to the Word that Jesus preached to men, unless we believe in vain. Further, I have hope and confidence that God will give me the grace of perseverance, and that I will respond to it and accept His gift of salvation until I die. This acknowledges the third meaning of the words "Saved" and "Salvation" from the Bible -- the future deliverance of believers at the Second Coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. In Romans chapter 5 verse 9, we are told then "How much more then, since we are now justified by His blood, will be saved through Him from the wrath."

Accepting Christ in our lives, and believing that he died on the cross for our salvation will make us "saved" but there's a lot more to it than that. We must live the life of a true child of God and always look to the cross. Friends, I would like to invite you to join me Sunday morning at Holy Trinity Church on the bypass in Harlan at 9:45 AM. If you have been looking for a Church that will embrace you and make you feel at home, you can look no further than Holy Trinity. We have members who will make you feel at home and experience the love and joy our Savior has for ALL His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment