Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What's the Biggest Issue Facing Fathers Today?

Having raised two sons and very proud of both of them, I was pondering the other day on the number one challenge facing fathers today. This is not an easy area to explore for several reasons. Families are different, with different issues and problems. Yet, I tend to think that some issues and problems are common with most fathers in today's age. 

Some of the issues that come to mind right away are: 
How does a father begin to discuss sex with his children in today's sex filled world? 
How much needs to be censored when his children are online or watching television? 
How does a father impart Catholic values and other elements of his faith to his children in a world that has quickly become very secular?

 After pondering these three questions, I decided to choose neither one. Instead, I think the number one issue facing fathers is more less the father himself, or rather his own inclination to lose his sense of self. I'll explain what I mean. It's no big secret that the American workforce is drastically overworked. I know this from experience. I often find myself with hardly the time to sit down to a meal. Studies have shown that approximately one third of today’s workforce is overworked. To make matters worse, thirty-one percent of working fathers say they would stop working if their spouse could support the family, and another thirty percent say they would be willing to take a cut in pay to spend more time with their children. Three in ten fathers will miss a significant event in their child's life due to having to work. This clearly impacts the relationship they have with their families. 

 In all these observations, I think what has been overlooked is whether or not these overworked Dads are getting enough “me” time. Being a father, we are expected to provide for our families as much as is within our means. However, if we do not take enough leisure time for ourselves, time to do those things that help de-stress us, we will quickly find ourselves burned out to the max.

 I would urge you, if you find yourself in this situation, to take some time in your busy life to slow down and allow yourself to relax. This will give you the energy that is needed to be even better at what you already do. Take time to go fishing. Get out and do some hiking or camping. Any activity that brings enjoyment to you and gives you a chance to recoup. It's a difficult task, I know.

 Do you think that this issue of burnt-out fathers is as big an issue as I do? How would you add leisure to your life? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment